Next in my DAML Masterclass series: Full-stack developer happiness with DAML and Elm

You can use any UI framework with your DAML driven application. But if you love DAML for its elegance, safety and business friendliness, I’m almost certain you will love Elm for the same reasons.

8 Likes

This is really cool. I’m a big fan of Elm and I can see it working really well in tandem with DAML thanks to its similar syntax and mindset.

Great write-up!

3 Likes

Did you also write applications with this combo?

1 Like

No, unfortunately not yet. I’d like to try though.

I’ve had some success writing applications with Haskell and Elm; while you can’t quite share code, at least it feels similar enough that I found it much easier to keep the front-end and back-end in sync. It’s pretty easy to eyeball a server-side data definition and a client-side JSON decoder and ensure they mention the same fields, for example.

3 Likes

I was also fascinated by the fact that at a Canadian university, MacMaster, professor Anand teaches kids coding and maths using Elm.

@MatthiasSchmalz you were asking about teaching UI programming …

3 Likes

Thank you for that article, I really enjoyed it and was surprised at how easily the two technologies integrate, and still produce human-readable code. I think that the enablement of mature UI technologies with DLT/Blockchain technologies in general is going to allow radically different, secure (Relatively speaking) and quality UX for the masses.

I look forward to an update when you have deepened your skills, and ‘other nice things necessary to produce beautiful UI’ <= your words not mine :+1:t2: :grin:

2 Likes

@quidagis do you think the Elm community would be receptive for the Daml message?

1 Like

I had a more complex post, which I deleted.

=> The DAML/Elm concept is interesting and the post was very informative, so please just do it.

Someone may enjoy it as much as I did & become a DAMLer :+1:t2: