DAML framework flexibility

Hi. I’m very new to DAML, and there may be a job opportunity and I’m willing to learn.
I would like to know if I’m restricted to using react & VSCode specifically, or can I port to other frameworks?
I’m a developer who has his own tools, and I was able to port them when I started with Solidity (since the JSON RPC does not constraint the framework and I can use JS to call web3 or ethersJS), so I want to see if I can do the same for DAML.

1 Like

Daml ledgers present a protobuf-over-gRPC API, and we publish a separate component mapping a JSON-over-HTTP API on top of that. If you can build something that talks to either of those, you’re good to go.

We provide code generation for JavaScript and a library tying that to React, but these are completely optional. You can build clients in any language that can speak either protobuf and gRPC, or JSON and HTTP.

Edit: I missed the VSCode part of the question. We provide an LSP server for the Daml language, which works with many editors, and syntax highlighting for VSCode. Again, these are optional and you’re free to use anything else that can produce text files.

2 Likes

@Luciano has our LSP working with vim. I imagine the process would be similar for most editors that have LSP support.