What do you type on?

Inspired by @yukikaze’s intro post, what’s your current keyboard? Whether cheap, pricey, mechanical, rubber dome, just your laptop, or Dell, post it.

I’ll start, this is one of several keyboards I’ve spent too much money on. I like it a lot thought honestly prefer the Matias that I have at work and have been unable to use for months. Much like my love of tabs for indentation I also have niche taste in key switches and ALPs-style switches will always be the best in my opinion.

2 Likes

Just want to also note that Dell keyboards are god-tier for the $20 price tag.

Hmm, not sure I’d take keyboard advice from a tab user. I type my spaces on three different keyboards. At home I (used to) type on a Roccat Ryos with Cherry MX Black switches. As a long-time Cherry fan, I went with the rather utilitarian Cherry MX Board 3.0 for work. This time with the more tactile Brown switches.

Having to share an office with a rather loud typist at home now, we invested in what my research brought up as one of the quietest options: Two Logitech K800. I have to say I am almost a convert. The feel and feedback are fantastic on it. Best keyboard I had for typing, and decent for gaming. The BIG downside is that it’s Bluetooth only. Even when you plug it in, it only draws power from the cable, no data. And I have a lot of trouble with Bluetooth (both for my Headset and Keyboard) so if I were to buy another keyboard, I’d get a Logitech with the same keys, but a good old-fashioned cable.

1 Like

That’s why I like Matias, it makes my tab presses super quiet

Yeah I don’t get the tabs thing either—that’s just crazy talk. I’m a big fan of ALPS switches too; the Apple IIc keyboard is still by far my favorite keyboard of all time. But I ultimately settled for Das Cherry Browns…I didn’t find Matias keyboards as enjoyable to type on as I thought I would. I would have definitely gone with Blues if I didn’t think everyone around me both in the office and at home would murder me.

1 Like

Das Model S Ultimate Cherry MX Blue
Used to drive @eric_da insane in our first office

5 Likes

I’ve been using this wavy dude ever since I gave myself RSI with a very aggressive set of gesture shortcuts :woman_facepalming:. Never again, libinput-gestures.

1 Like

I’m using a Vortex Race 3 with pretty colours and Brown switches.
It drives emacs very nicely. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Like @Phoebe_Nichols this is the only keyboard I have found that doesn’t reliably trigger my RSI.

2 Likes

I’ve got this:

Thanks for that tip @Shaul - this is also MX-blue, and I was thinking of bringing it in to the office when I joined, but then thought better of it :laughing: .

The only thing I don’t like about this keyboard is that for the arrow keys you need the Fn button, which is really clumsy. There’s supposed to be a full-size version that’s just come out.

2 Likes

I’m not a big fan of expensive keyboards and mechanical switches. :smiley:

3 Likes

SteelSeries Apex M800 with QS1 Switch.
4 Years in and still going strong <3

3 Likes

It’s so bright. I’m kind of jealous. I can’t even see my keys at night.

My standard office keyboard for the last few years is the Infinity Ergodox with Cherry MX Red switches, currently sporting the DSA Galaxy Class keyset.

Occasionally interchanged with a Keyboardio Model 01 with Matias Quiet Click switches.

For travel, I bring along the awesome Unigo66 with my favorite switches, Hako True, and my favorite keyset, GMK Olivia. This neat little hardware hack has been to Zürich, among other places.

At home, I make the most of limited space with the very pleasantly Hermes-typewriter-evocative Rocketeer, for which it would be blasphemy to swap out the beautiful custom SA profile keyset included.

5 Likes

My Keycaps are stars I cannot fathom into constellations.

2 Likes

That’s an impressive collection, here’s a video I captured of @Stephen taking out his keyboard collection for the thread

another one

4 Likes

We have a couple of these in the Zurich office but I gave up after realizing they came with an operations manual … :laughing:

Split keyboards are the best, you should give them a shot.

I tried them once, felt weird and went back in my low-tech cave. :smiley:

2 Likes

They don’t play well with my 2-finger typing system :wink:

4 Likes