Coffee: What do you drink?

We all love a good cup of :coffee:. What’s your favourite bean and method of preparation? Know of any filter roasts suitable for an office? Digital Asset’s Zurich office is looking :slight_smile:

I am a fan of filter coffee and firmly believe that the bean is much more important than the machine so I have a relatively cheap setup consisting of

Currently drinking beans from coffeecircle.com. Yirgacheffe is the best of the ones I’ve tried so far.

4 Likes

I recently found out about Aeropress coffee and I like the smooth taste coming from that kind of brewing. I use a manual grinder, it takes me more or less the same time to heat up the water and grind the beans and I like the synchronicity between the two. :smile: Right now I’m trying a few different beans from vertical.coffe and when I’m done with those I’ll try some more from mame.coffee. I noticed I generally tend to like coffees from central America, the ones I tried tend to have a smoother and less acidic taste, which I like a lot.

3 Likes

Interesting. Whenever tasting coffee, I tend to find that I favour Ethiopian beans over the competition. I think it’s the low bitterness that does it for me.

3 Likes

I’ll give it a try, the roasters I’m buying from have a lot of variety. :smile:

2 Likes

Here’s my setup

Machine: Profitec 600
Grinder: ECM S64

As you might notice I’m an espresso person :slightly_smiling_face:

As for beans, I switch around quite a bit since I like a fair amount of variety. I regularly order from https://www.vertical.coffee/ and https://shop.roestlabor.ch/. Currently, I have some Brasilian beans from https://www.suedhang.org/product/lua-clara/ that I got as a present.

5 Likes

Some great set-ups there. :grinning:

I mostly go manual. I have a Hario V60 and Skerton grinder, and a cheap baking scale.

I also have an AeroPress (not pictured), which I mostly use for travel or the office nowadays. It goes to conferences with me. (Pro tip: if you bring good coffee and an AeroPress to a conference, everyone wants to be your friend.)

Thinking of getting an automatic grinder, but I want one that is (a) very good and (b) fits in my kitchen cupboard. So far I haven’t found one.

I agree with @bernhard that the beans are the most important part of any coffee. I have a subscription to The Barn, which accounts for about 60–80% of the coffee I drink, and I order randomly for the rest. Right now I have a lot of beans from Caravan, in London. I think I’m going to order some from a Zürich place next.

3 Likes

Shameless plug for a mate of mine’s roastery: https://www.cafesmoody.com/. Fresh from the foot of the Alps! Please tell him I sent you :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Sadly your mate doesn’t seem to deliver to Switzerland :crying_cat_face:. But looks great! I’ll make sure to drop by if I’m in the area.

2 Likes

Booo. I was just putting together an order. I guess I’ll have to pick some up during ski season. :grinning:

Maybe we can get them to ship to Switzerland if we make a bulk order for the office :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I will happily ask him. Sure he’d be keen to hear what DA Swiss has to say! Let me know folks.

I’m a huge fan of filter coffee, specifically V60. So here’s my setup.

Filter
I use a plastic V60 size 02 with Hario paper filters Made in Japan.
Attention: The Hario filters Made in Netherlands have a different flow rate and have a worse tactile feel to them.

Grinder
I like hand grinders because they are quieter and take much less space in the kitchen. And since I don’t drink espresso at home, I don’t need something effective for small grind sizes.
I used to own a Handground grinder, but after a few years it broke apart due to its plastic construction. I then switched to a Commandante C40 Mk3 and overall I’m quite happy with it.

Scale
For years I’ve been brewing coffee with a rather inaccurate kitchen scale and a timer on my phone, but this year my family gifted me the Acaia Pearl S. I really enjoy the quick reaction time of it and the integrated timer. Not having to faff around with the phone is a huge convenience boost.

Kettle
Two years ago I started using the Hario Buono goose neck kettle, which comes in particularly handy for some of the more exotic brew methods. It’s not a must have, but contributes to an overall more enjoyable experience.

Beans
Now for the most important ingredient. For probably completely irrational reasons, I’m drinking almost exclusively using beans from small family owned coffee farms in Colombia, roasted locally in Switzerland:

My wife only drinks decaf coffee and we found very delicious decaf beans by CoffeeCircle, specifically roasted for filter coffee. It’s reeeaallly good as well.

Brew Method
For bigger batches (30g+ coffee beans) I use James Hoffmann’s The Ultimate V60 Technique. For my daily dose of 13g coffee and 200g water I use the super easy April V60 Method.
Occasionally I also play around with Tetsu Kasuya’s 4:6 Method and a completely different brew technique called Osmotic Flow.

Shameles Plug
My brother in law runs his own coffee roasting business in Austria, called coffeetime roastery. He recently experimented with what he calls Barrel Aged Coffee, where the beans have been stored in a Bourbon barrel for a couple of weeks.
Shipping from Austria to Switzerland is expensive, so I always pick up a few packets when I visit my family back in Austria, which I haven’t been able to do for some time now because of the pandemic.

This has turned out to be a much longer post than I thought it would be, but as you can see, I celebrate coffee and not only enjoy drinking a good cup, but also the process of making one.
I realize that a lot of it is probably just unnecessary ceremony, but I like it, so I’ll keep doing it :grin:

6 Likes

3 Likes

What an awesome thread @bernhard :point_up_2:t2: :point_up_2:t2: :point_up_2:t2:

You Europeans and your Coffee expertise make me feel, or rather confirm, that I am but a Coffee peasant from the Antipodes :upside_down_face:

My setup:

… made in Korea no less.

2 Likes

Recently, I fell in love with Bialetti Brikka, which is a robust yet efficient appliance to make a café atmosphere at your home with producing cream layer.

3 Likes