How DAML is better than Solidity

As a DAML developer when I talk about its features and defend its usage. However after working on DAML I know it persistence layer feature allow developers to not to worry about encryption mechanisms and all. Role based feature promotes/offer authenticity and privacy. Plus this language is for permissioned blockchains not supported for Public. so if I say that its the most appropriate choice for permissioned/enterprise blockchain users. Is it correct claim?

Any chance that DAML will support public platform in near future?

Another question if we say DAML is platform independent is this right term, because it has support for 8, 9 platforms. So does it mean that .dar file executed on one platform can be executed on rest of the supported platforms (like java code, compile one time execute everywhere)?

I would start from making sure that we talk about the whole smart contract platform rather than the language. In that context I would say that the critical differentiator between Daml and any other platform is its sub-transaction privacy, i.e. every party involved in a transaction only sees the portions that they are supposed to see. This is enabled by the Daml language on the surface to define what party sees what part of a transaction and the Canton protocol that enables to plug into the consensus layer of multiple distributed ledgers and databases while preserving those privacy guarantees. If you haven’t seen it, I think that @Curtis_Hrischuk’s introduction to Canton in our Daml 2.0 webinar did a great job at explaining it and I recommend having a look.

Given what I said above, Daml is not “just” a great platform for permissioned blockchains, but rather to enable use cases where privacy between organizations is important. To make a practical example: if you want to make a health insurance claim, you don’t want financial details to leak to your insurance provider or health details to leak to your bank, the only thing that matters is that the insurance can validate and fulfill the claim. If this can happen through a single source of truth as an atomic transaction, the time and cost to process the claim will be minimal.

I think you are right and it’s not just that: if you had a look at the webinar I posted above, the ability to connect to multiple domains (which, as of the time of writing, is still in Early Access), allows even more complex, networked use cases to emerge.

2 Likes