Which ledgers can DAML run on?

Hi all, I am Federico. My background is legal, and I am researching smart contracts. More precisely, I am exploring the world of smart legal contracts. I investigated some projects from DIgital Asset in the past – especially the DA/ASX collaboration. My question for you is: what distributed ledger DAML is compatible with? I guess the answer it is Hyperledger, but I am not quite sure. Moreover, are there any other distributed ledger platforms DAML is compatible with? Thank you very much in advance for your help! I appreciate it. Cheers, Federico

2 Likes

Hi @Federico, welcome to the forum!

We support a pretty wide range of ledgers, you can find an overview at https://docs.daml.com/deploy/index.html

1 Like

OK. Great, thanks! It seems they are many … DAML is kind of agnostic.
Besides, may I ask you whether you know this project:

Arity - https://www.arity.co/

I read they are adopting DAML.

Thank you again!

Federico

2 Likes

I don’t know much about Arity personally but it looks pretty cool!

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

The CEO of Arity, Brent Farese, is a former Digital Asset employee.

2 Likes

Not sure if this is what you’re referring to @Federico but they did write a guest blog post earlier this year.

Personally I think Arity’s reusable and digital legal contracts are quite cool (either with or without DAML) but will be great to see how they work together.

@shaynefletcher & @anthony: Thank you for your reply!
Yes, this is what I am referring to.
Good to know that Brent was a DA employee.
The platform seems very new but it will be interesting to follow its developments as it employes DAML.
I’ll try to reach out to Brent then. He may give me more info on the platform.
Thank you very much for your reply!

2 Likes

Hi!

Where is the current list of supported ledgers for a Daml node in. addition to Postgres?
I don’t mean Canton, but the actual Daml nodes.

Per

@perbergman
The only options for the persistence layer on the Canton Participant Nodes are Postgres and Oracle.
Fabric and Ethereum domains can be used to decentralize the sequencing layer. But for persistence Canton utilizes relational databases.

As the name suggests, within the Canton model the participant node is the active component that represents/proxies/acts-as the participant within the network. Because Daml/Canton is a privacy preserving consensus model, this node needs to be fully within the control and custody of that participant or one of its trusted agents. This means there is no trust boundary or trust issue to resolve within the participant node, and therefore no benefit to be gained by using a distributed consensus protocol within the node.

For this reason the participant node uses tried and proven, high-performance databases internally (postgres or oracle). A similar argument applies to the other nodes in a Canton network. The sequencer, mediator, and topology manager all use their own postgres or oracle instances internally as ultimately the trust boundaries within the Canton model exist between nodes and are never internal to a node. It is assumed that we cannot “defend” a node against an operator with full physical and operational control of a node. So the privacy, authorization, and trust guarantees provided by Canton do not rely on the nodes protecting themselves against their own operator, but are properties of the consensus protocol not the individual node implementations.