Canton on Fabric

Hi team,

Am studying on the configuration for a fabric domain. In the example (e01),

• A fabric network of two peer orgs (org1 and org2), each has one peer (test-network)
  • Two sequencers are configured, one is representing org1 and another org2

Some questions in my mind if we have a different fabric network setup:

(a) Is it a typical and recommended setup for “1 sequencer for 1 org” in any fabric networks?

(b) If there is only one org with two peers in a fabric network, can we have two sequencers connecting to the two peers in this org? Or each sequencer can only reach one org?

(c) In case that two peers are configured in any org of a fabric network, if we configure both peers into sequencer, can sequencer use either peer (as far as it’s up and running)? it’s HA capability from fabric, and just see if sequencer can handle it well.

(d) I notice credential (MSP) for the Admin is in configuration file. In real life if we have deployed the canton chaincode already, do we still need the Admin (OU=admin)? or just a user (OU=client) who can invoke chaincode function is good enough?

Thanks.

kc

Hey @kctam thank you for your questions.

When configuring the fabric sequencer, you have to provide enough peers (typically from different organizations) such that you can fulfill the endorsement policy of the chaincode (which defaults to require that a majority of organizations in the channel endorse a transaction).

You also have to configure the client user which belongs to a specific organization and is used to invoke chaincode functions.

With that said, those are the answers:

(a) yes, it is recommended that each sequencer operates using a client belonging to a different organization to take advantage of Fabric’s distribute trust properties.

(b) in this case (one org with 2 peers), both sequencers must configure both peers (unless you change the endorsement policy to only need one peer’s endorsement) but each sequencer should still configure a different client

(c) yes, you can and you should configure at least as many peers as necessary to fulfill the endorsement policy

(d) I believe you are right that the client does not need to be an admin, since all it does is invoke chaincode

Let me know if this answers it

2 Likes

Thanks @danilofaria for your prompt reply!