Is DAML an agonistic solution?

Is DAML Ledger and DAML is an agonistic blockchain solution like chainlink and solidity?

If by any chance to mean “agnostic”, Daml use multiple technologies under the hood to achieve its goal of providing secure and consistent synchronization of a workflow. The way by which it does so is by having multiple “drivers” that implement its semantics. In particular, there’s a couple of “centralized” drivers that build on top of traditional databases (specifically PostgreSQL and Oracle) and “decentralized” drivers that build on top of DLTs (specifically Fabric and Besu). You can read more on how to set up a “domain” on a specific database or DLT here on the documentation.

If you really mean “agonistic”, I’m afraid I’m not familiar with the term. Happy to help if by any chance you can help me understand what you mean.

This is Agonistic definition. I am asking in that context. Does DAML is agonistic because it also has support for other platforms?

------------ Blockchain-agnostic --------------------------

Blockchain-agnostic solutions are software and hardware that are compatible with many different blockchain networks, including layer 2s. They can seamlessly plug into multiple blockchain networks—transacting, reading, and making state changes—based on a single messaging format, framework, or interface.

In computing more broadly, data-agnostic design refers to devices and programs that can receive and process data in multiple formats or from multiple sources. To get a better insight into what blockchain agnostic really means, we can look at other types of data-agnostic solutions. For example, XML is a programming language and file format that can store, transmit, and reconstruct any arbitrary data. Another example is gaming engines, which are software frameworks that enable game developers to use a single codebase to create a game that’s accessible across multiple platforms such as PC, PlayStation, and Xbox.

Comparatively, Apple provides an example of non-agnostic design, as apps are only available in the App Store and require an iPhone or iPad to access.

The Daml smart contract language is not strictly speaking blockchain-agnostic, meaning that it does not compile to multiple targets that in turn are the native language of specific platform. However, the consensus and synchronization layers can be based on several choices of centralized domains (PostgreSQL and Oracle) and decentralized ones (Fabric and Besu).

I didn’t get the point. Like when we compile DAML code we can run it on multiple platforms like corda, fabric. So like this thing not comes under the definition of agonistic?

You would use the underlying blockchains consensus protocol for synchronization. The important point is that while you’re using the domain’s storage layer to achieve this, you cannot interoperate directly with its native language and constructs.

Thanks, I get it now.

1 Like