How to run the bootstrap hook in the Canton participant helm chart?

In the description of the Canton participant helm chart there is the following explanation about the bootstrap hook:

Domains deployed using the Helm chart have a closed topology by default, you need to add the participant node ID to your domain allow-list (see ).

Console commands to run on the domain side:

val participantId = ParticipantId.tryFromProtoPrimitive("<participant_node_id>")
domainManagers.remote.head.participants.set_state(participantId, ParticipantPermission.Submission, TrustLevel.Ordinary)

I will refer to the above step as step #1.

Then you can enable the bootstrap hook and connect to your domain, validating its ID:

bootstrapHook:
  enabled: true
  remoteSequencer:
    domain:
      alias: "mydomain"
      id: "<domain_node_id>"
    host: "mydomain-canton-domain-sequencer.canton.svc.cluster.local"
    port: 4401

I will refer to the above step as step #2.

What is the sequence of actions here?

In order to be able to perform the console command described in step #1, I need to have the domain and participant1 ready, so I must have installed the chart with participant1.values not containing the bootstraptHook setting described in step #2.

My understanding is that the bootstrapHook setting described in step #2 needs to be added to the participant1.values file after the console command in step #1.

But how can I apply the added bootstrapHook settings to participant1 when the pod is already running?