Da-marketplace-0.1.15 compilation error with SDK 1.10.0

Hi all, I clone the da-marketplace-0.1.15 sample app from Github and compile it without any error. However, when I declare dependencies from SDK 1.7.0 to SDK 1.10.0 in daml.yaml and package.json of the ui, I got this error:

TypeScript error in /Users/alexho/da-marketplace-0.1.15/ui/src/components/Broker/BrokerOrders.tsx(164,36):
Argument of type ‘Choice<BrokerOrder, BrokerOrder_Fill, ContractId, Tuple2<string, string>>’ is not assignable to parameter of type ‘Choice<BrokerOrder, { depositCid: string; }, ContractId, DamlTuple>’.
The types of ‘template().keyEncode’ are incompatible between these types.
Type ‘(k: Tuple2<string, string>) => unknown’ is not assignable to type ‘(k: DamlTuple) => unknown’. TS2345

162 |         const key = wrapDamlTuple([props.cdata.broker, props.cdata.brokerOrderId])
163 |         const args = { depositCid }

164 | await ledger.exerciseByKey(BrokerOrder.BrokerOrder_Fill, key, args);
| ^
165 | setDepositCid(‘’);
166 | }
167 |

how should I fix this issue? thank you very much.

2 Likes

Hi Alex, Welcome to the Daml Forums!

Did you update the version numbers in package.json and rebuild after?

1 Like

Hi Bernhard, yes I updated sdk version in package.json for these 3 libraries:

@daml/ledger”: “1.10.0”,
@daml/react”: “1.10.0”,
@daml/types”: “1.10.0”,

The above errors show up only when I update these 3 libraries and daml.yaml to 1.10.0. If I only update sdk version in daml.yaml to 1.10.0 and still maintain 1.7.0 for the package.json, there is no error.

Many thanks for your answer.

1 Like

I was able to reproduce. It looks like a regression to me. I’ve opened ticket #9046 to track this. It also contains a workaround, which involves manually casting depositCid, which is a string to a ContractId.

Edit: @Alex have a look at the discussion in the linked ticket. This was a bug in 1.7.0 rather than a regression in 1.10.0, as you were able to pass completely illegal types in for args.

If you want real type-safety, I’d fix this by changing the type of your state variable:

const [ depositCid, setDepositCid ] = useState<ContractId<AssetDeposit> | undefined>(undefined);

Alternatively, you can cast string to any ContractId using the as syntax. Eg

const args = { depositCid : depositCid as ContractId<AssetDeposit> }
1 Like

There is also another branch at GitHub - digital-asset/da-marketplace at sales-eng that is already on SDK 1.10.0. It has diverged a bit from master but should hopefully be merged back into master within the next few weeks.

1 Like

Thank you @bernhard and @cocreature. I did the “as” cast and rebuilt, but got another compiling error shown below. It seems the master branch needs to fix a number of issues before it can move on to 1.10.0. For now I’ll use it as it is and wait for new release because I’m new to DAML, need to know more than a few things to get it work.

Do you know which branch the DA Marketplace sample app on project:DABL is using? it is working like a charm. However, if I compile the master branch (for 1.7.0 because it has no error) and replace the sample app’s ui module by my compiled ui module, it stops working.

TypeScript error in /Users/alexho/da-marketplace-0.1.15/ui/src/components/common/Holdings.tsx(249,44):
Argument of type ‘Choice<Investor, Investor_AllocateToProvider, ContractId, Tuple2<string, string>>’ is not assignable to parameter of type ‘Choice<Investor, { depositCids: string; amount: string; provider: string; }, ContractId, DamlTuple>’.
Types of property ‘template’ are incompatible.
Type ‘() => Template<Investor, Tuple2<string, string>, string>’ is not assignable to type ‘() => Template<Investor, DamlTuple, string>’. TS2345

247 |         switch(role) {
248 |             case MarketRole.InvestorRole:

249 | await ledger.exerciseByKey(Investor.Investor_AllocateToProvider, key, args);
| ^
250 | break;
251 | case MarketRole.BrokerRole:
252 | await ledger.exerciseByKey(Broker.Broker_AllocateToProvider, key, args);

That looks like another instance of the same issue. In https://github.com/digital-asset/da-marketplace/blob/cc92aae26d60ad451ba9bd1be25f996f8f122b4d/ui/src/components/common/Holdings.tsx#L241 depositCids is of type string[] whereas you need something of type ContractId<AssetDeposit> as defined in the Daml model, see https://github.com/digital-asset/da-marketplace/blob/3cb658e5349fccaf5646221b2b9bad4d18780fcc/daml/Marketplace/Investor.daml#L106.

As for the other issue, ideally push it as far up as possible and do the conversion to ContractId<AssetDeposit> at the edges but you can also do the local as cast here.

I would have thought that it runs from master but I’ll check and get back to you. As for your issue with “it stops working” is that the typescript error you shown below or something else? I’m a bit confused why you get a typescript error if you replace it with your compiled ui module.

As for your issue with “it stops working” is that the typescript error you shown below or something else? I’m a bit confused why you get a typescript error if you replace it with your compiled ui module.

@cocreature, the typescript errors only occur when I compile it using sdk version 1.10.0. It has no error at all and compile successfully if I use 1.7.0. The reason I replace the sample app’s UI with my compiled UI because I want to change the UI to suit my need.

Sorry that I made you confused when I said “it stops working”. What I meant is when I open the app, the loading page keep saying “Loading…” and hangs there, not even open the login page. If I use the default sample app UI, everything is just working fine.

Just to clarify, when I compiled the source code cloned from Github, I didn’t make any change. I just compile and upload to project:DABL to see whether it works. But it ended up not working. Thanks.

To clarify it further, followed is what I did:

1. Deploy the DA Marketplace sample app on projectdabl. Everything works fine here.
  2. Compile the cloned Github source code without changing anything to the source code.
  3. Upload only the compiled ui module to the project set up in step 1 and deploy it to replace the default UI.

Now, when I access the app, it just hangs at loading page.

Hi @Alex ,

I was able to reproduce the problem and found, in this case, the issue is caused by stale DARs that were built with a different Daml version. This results in mismatched template IDs between the DAR deployed from the Sample Apps, and the UI you built from master.

To fix, run rm -rf .daml/ and build the UI again. (We are adding this step to our Makefile, so that it is included in the make clean target)

Generally to avoid this sort of issue as you develop and start introducing your own changes, the recommended approach is to build the entire app with make package and deploy the DIT build artifact (found in target/da-marketplace-VERSION-.dit to a fresh ledger

EDIT: To also add to the above, there is a local dev story to speed up the feedback loop, so you don’t always have to build and deploy to Daml Hub for testing smaller changes - instructions are located in our README here

2 Likes

We are also working on an upgrade to get the marketplace app properly working with Daml 1.10.0 - stay tuned!

2 Likes

thanks a lot @Alex_Matson. When I build the entire app and deploy the DIT file as you advised, I couldn’t get the Exberry adapter work. Here is the logs:

{“kind”:“Status”,“apiVersion”:“v1”,“metadata”:{},“status”:“Failure”,“message”:“container "bot" in pod "pythonbot-zchkzmhidlg5t4sf" is waiting to start: PodInitializing”,“reason”:“BadRequest”,“code”:400}

— End of log stream

Even after a day, it still shows the above text. Again, I used the cloned Github da-marketplace repo without any amendment.

When I deploy the DA Marketplace sample app, the Exberry adapter seems working. After I deployed the adapter for a while, the log showed as below. Could you please help me double-check this issue? The compilation of the Exberry adaptor bot didn’t show any error, but seems that it is not working properly. I needs to work with Exberry matching engine, so really need to get the adapter work. Thanks.

[ INFO] 2021-03-09 21:53:03,084 | dazl | ACS request consume full stream (10.15 ms)
[ INFO] 2021-03-09 21:53:03,084 | dazl | ACS find all required packages (0.03 ms)
[ INFO] 2021-03-09 21:53:03,085 | dazl | ACS transform the message (0.07 ms)
[ INFO] 2021-03-09 21:53:03,085 | dazl | read_acs() finished at offset ‘0000000000000007’ for party: ‘ledger-party-5864d33f-049e-4989-acc3-03505d807999’
[ INFO] 2021-03-09 21:53:03,106 | dazl | Catching up…
[ INFO] 2021-03-09 21:53:03,106 | dazl | Finished catching up.
[ INFO] 2021-03-09 21:53:03,106 | dazl | Finished reading current ledger state.
[ INFO] 2021-03-09 21:53:03,107 | root | DA Marketplace <> Exberry adapter is ready!

1 Like

Hey @Alex,

We just updated the master branch of da-marketplace to use the SDK version 1.10 and switched to a different method of building the Exberry adapter. Hopefully this fixes these issues for you!

Note that the new build method requires pipenv which can be installed using brew or pip. When building the adapter for the first time, it may ask you for permission to install a different version of python. If so, you can say yes - it will install it locally for the virtual environment and should not change your system’s default python configuration.

4 Likes

Hi @alex.graham, it works. Thank you very much.

1 Like