Coffee: What do you drink?

I’m a huge fan of filter coffee, specifically V60. So here’s my setup.

Filter
I use a plastic V60 size 02 with Hario paper filters Made in Japan.
Attention: The Hario filters Made in Netherlands have a different flow rate and have a worse tactile feel to them.

Grinder
I like hand grinders because they are quieter and take much less space in the kitchen. And since I don’t drink espresso at home, I don’t need something effective for small grind sizes.
I used to own a Handground grinder, but after a few years it broke apart due to its plastic construction. I then switched to a Commandante C40 Mk3 and overall I’m quite happy with it.

Scale
For years I’ve been brewing coffee with a rather inaccurate kitchen scale and a timer on my phone, but this year my family gifted me the Acaia Pearl S. I really enjoy the quick reaction time of it and the integrated timer. Not having to faff around with the phone is a huge convenience boost.

Kettle
Two years ago I started using the Hario Buono goose neck kettle, which comes in particularly handy for some of the more exotic brew methods. It’s not a must have, but contributes to an overall more enjoyable experience.

Beans
Now for the most important ingredient. For probably completely irrational reasons, I’m drinking almost exclusively using beans from small family owned coffee farms in Colombia, roasted locally in Switzerland:

My wife only drinks decaf coffee and we found very delicious decaf beans by CoffeeCircle, specifically roasted for filter coffee. It’s reeeaallly good as well.

Brew Method
For bigger batches (30g+ coffee beans) I use James Hoffmann’s The Ultimate V60 Technique. For my daily dose of 13g coffee and 200g water I use the super easy April V60 Method.
Occasionally I also play around with Tetsu Kasuya’s 4:6 Method and a completely different brew technique called Osmotic Flow.

Shameles Plug
My brother in law runs his own coffee roasting business in Austria, called coffeetime roastery. He recently experimented with what he calls Barrel Aged Coffee, where the beans have been stored in a Bourbon barrel for a couple of weeks.
Shipping from Austria to Switzerland is expensive, so I always pick up a few packets when I visit my family back in Austria, which I haven’t been able to do for some time now because of the pandemic.

This has turned out to be a much longer post than I thought it would be, but as you can see, I celebrate coffee and not only enjoy drinking a good cup, but also the process of making one.
I realize that a lot of it is probably just unnecessary ceremony, but I like it, so I’ll keep doing it :grin:

6 Likes