What's the motivation for Explicit Contract Disclosure (Experimental) in Canton 2.7?

Hi,

I was wondering what’s the motivation for Explicit Contract Disclosure (Experimental) in Canton 2.7.

https://docs.daml.com/2.7.0/app-dev/explicit-contract-disclosure.html#

Best
Jose

Hi @jvelasco.intellecteu,

This feature can be used to give visibility on a contract to a large number of parties, without having to add them as observers.

It is useful to disclose reference data, such as Instruments or Calendars in Daml Finance.

Currently the same can be achieved using a public party, but that scales poorly to multi-participant setups.

Hope this helps,
Matteo

1 Like

Thanks Matteo!
I wonder what are the scale issues of using a public party in multi-participants setup?
Is it a user management issue? Or a ledger thing?

Best
Jose

Also in daml docs there’s this note:

Source: Explicit Contract Disclosure (Experimental) — Daml SDK 2.7.0 documentation

Is there any estimation on when daml script will support explicit-contract-disclosure feature?

Thanks
Jose

Hi @jvelasco.intellecteu,

My understanding is that it is non-trivial to add a new participant to the network and

• have them host the public party
  • hydrate the participant’s ledger with the set of contracts where the public party is a stakeholder

I am unfortunately not able to answer this.

But please note that, in a test script, public party gives you effectively the same effect as explicit disclosure.

Matteo

1 Like