Make Build

Hey DAML’ers!

I am trying to explore the daml-ui-template but am having trouble with the first step ‘make build’. I get the following error:

C:\Users\James Jaworski\OneDrive\Optimis\DABL\trial\daml-ui-template-master>make build
'make' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

I am new to using Makefile. From some Google searches, some people suggested navigating to the path of the executable (I assume the Makefile) but my command line doesn’t recognize that as a valid path.

I then tried to run each command for ‘Build’ individually but only was able to compile the .dar file and got this error:

C:\Users\James Jaworski\OneDrive\Optimis\DABL\trial\daml-ui-template-master>daml codegen js -o daml.js .daml/dist/*.dar
SDK 1.7.0 has been released!
See https://github.com/digital-asset/daml/releases/tag/v1.7.0 for details.

> daml2js: .daml/dist/*.dar: openBinaryFile: invalid argument (Invalid argument)
    > daml-helper: Received ExitFailure 1 when running
    > Raw command: "C:\\Users\\James Jaworski\\AppData\\Roaming\\daml\\sdk\\1.5.0\\daml2js\\daml2js" -o daml.js .daml/dist/*.dar

Does anyone have any suggestions about how to get make build to work? I am working on Windows and Yarn 1.19.1.

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @jamesljaworski85,

I’m not the best reference for Windows as I don’t use it to build any software. I think your best bet here is to run the commands manually, as you seemed to intuit.

If you do want to get make, you have many options:

You could also opt for using a virtual machine running linux (e.g. through VirtualBox), which can make it a bit easier to keep your host machine “clean” (all of the options above come with dependencies), but also has its own learning curve.

Going back to the option of not using make and running the commands directly, your issue here is that * on a typical linux prompt will automatically expand to all matching files. The Windows command prompt does not do that, so you’ll need to type out the exact file name for it to work. If you have not changed anything after cloning the repo, once you run daml build the resulting DAR file should be under .daml/dist/daml-ui-template-0.0.1.dar, so the full command would be (I think):

daml codegen js -o daml.js .daml\dist\daml-ui-template-0.0.1.dar
2 Likes

Hey @Gary_Verhaegen. Thanks for the help! I did not realize that ‘make’ was only for Linux. I went with your second option (to keep with what I am most familiar with) and was now able to run each of the commands in the build step.

Thanks for the help!

1 Like