Daml REPL Non-Functional On 64-Bit Linux

Goal

I am aiming to get Daml ver 1.15.0 working on an old Toshiba Satellite laptop running Dietpi v7.4.2 just to see the impact, if any, of low-spec 64-Bit hardware.

Guide

Using my Daml-on-Debian tutorial. This hardware could support a full Debian 10 version, however since I have switched from the Raspberry Pi OS to Dietpi OS (A super lean version) I thought Iā€™d use it here for experience and my entertainment :grinning:

Results so far:

Daml

$ daml version
SDK versions:
  1.15.0  (default SDK version for new projects)

Others

VS Code works although it does run slow but once open the UI is functional. NodeJS/NPM are installed, and function as per spec.

Testing

I can use daml to instantiate a new project using daml new --template skeleton sys_test with no errors, and inspecting the file structure indicates that works correctly, although I have not ran a Sandbox etc.

Issue

The issue is the Daml REPL:

$ daml repl
damlc: /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.11.0-openjdk-armhf/bin/java: createProcess: runInteractiveProcess: exec: does not exist (No such file or directory)

Java

$ java -version
openjdk version "1.8.0_292"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (AdoptOpenJDK)(build 1.8.0_292-b10)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (AdoptOpenJDK)(build 25.292-b10, mixed mode)

$ ls /usr /lib/jvm
adoptopenjdk-8-hotspot-amd64
1 Like

UPDATE: Both 64-Bit install of Daml ver 1.15.0 are now working.

It seems that the copy of the ~/.bashrc file that I move between Ubuntu & Debian Linux systems, had two (2) entries of $PATH referring to Java. The common one was /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.11.0-openjdk-armhf being the ARM 64-Bit version.

In my haste and wild enthusiasm I failed to notice this and munged up 2 x Daml installs, and basically had an Answer/Reply thread all to myself :grin:

Although now I have the fullstack Daml running on an 800Mhz CPU laptop.

3 Likes

Awesome!