DAML Logo Usage Right

Hi everyone.

Is there a DAML Logo which represents DAML as a language, and legally speaking, third parties have the legal right to refer to the DAML programming language using this hypothetical DAML logo?

I was unable to find any using Google, the daml.com site, or any GitHubs; so I assume the answer’s no, but I thought it might worth to ask here.

Much like the Angular press kit states the Angular logo is provided under CC BY 4.0 (Angular)

Original Slack Thread link: https://damldriven.slack.com/archives/C94RD7677/p1616250832004500

1 Like

Hey @adam.rocska working on getting a better answer and more clarity but you can find several logos in the daml repository:

But this is a very incomplete answer and doesn’t really address the broader issue of “what can a dev do to show that their work is powered by daml”

It should be noted that the digitalasset/daml repo is under Apache 2.0 which, in its Section 6, says:

6. Trademarks . This License does not grant permission to use the trade names, trademarks, service marks, or product names of the Licensor, except as required for reasonable and customary use in describing the origin of the Work and reproducing the content of the NOTICE file.

I’m not a lawyer but I’m pretty sure the Daml logo (and name) fall under trademark law, so the presence of these assets in an Apache-licensed repository does not in itself grant anyone the right to use them.

2 Likes

Hi @adam.rocska you can use the Daml logos so long as you comply with Digital Asset’s trademark policy available at Digital Asset & DAML Trademark Policy, including that “By using a Digital Asset trademark, in whole or in part, you are acknowledging that Digital Asset is the sole owner of the trademark and promising that you will not interfere with Digital Asset’s rights in the trademark, including challenging Digital Asset’s use, registration of, or application to register such trademark, alone or in combination with other words, anywhere in the world, and that you will not harm, misuse, or bring into disrepute any Digital Asset trademark.”

5 Likes

Thank you so much!

That webpage could do a bit of an SEO.
Or even better, maybe it’d worth investing a few dollars in creating a “Brand Assets” page, where both the legal, and design (context, sizing, spacing, etc.) constraints and circumstances are clarified.

Keep up the great work, and again: thanks!

3 Likes

Good suggestion, IMHO :+1:t2:

2 Likes