Daml: Failed to spawn command subprocess

Hello everyone. Just some newbee here that wants to explore more about daml. I have a problem installing the Daml SDK on a new machine. I was able to install the SDK on an old Windows 7 machine which is currently running smoothly. Then I tried to install it to a new machine which is Windows 10 x64. But suddenly I get this error machine when I tried to create a new project.

C:\Users\spawnthing\private-nft>daml new nft
daml: Failed to spawn command subprocess.
context: Running new command.
details: C:\Users\spawnthing\AppData\Roaming\daml\sdk\1.15.0\daml-helper/daml-helper: startProcess: permission denied (Permission denied)

I tried several ways to fix it by going through permissions (files/folders) but to no avail. I hope someone can enlighten me with this issue.

Kind regards.

1 Like

Welcome to the community @spawnbps

Can you provide some detail?
What does daml --help command yield?

2 Likes

hello @Zsolt_Holman, I tried “daml --help” which resulted to this…

I also tried creating on different folders to no avail. Should I just reformat the whole drive and run a fresh install of the operating system?

2 Likes

Can you try edit the previleges of your project folder, add all the users and checked all the previleges :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hello @ariscatan, yes I’ve already tried and checked to no avail. I can’t seem to find out why nor a solution for this one.

1 Like

Hi @spawnbps,

I’m no Windows expert, but from the error message it seem to say you don’t have permission to run daml-helper, as opposed to lacking permission to create the nft folder.

Have you checked the permissions on C:\Users\spawnthing\AppData\Roaming\daml\sdk\1.15.0\daml-helper/daml-helper? I’m also a bit confused by the mix of backslashes and slashes in that path, though I guess I would expect more of a “file not found” than a permission error if that were an issue.

Is it possible that you installed Daml as another user? Have you tried reinstalling Daml? Have you tried running daml new in an administrator cmd prompt? (I would not recommend doing so if you have anything of value on that computer; usual warnings about administrator access apply.)

Formatting the entire computer seems a bit excessive, I wouldn’t quite go there yet.

2 Likes

Hello @Gary_Verhaegen , thanks for the reply. I’ve actually tried most if not all the things you’ve said above and again to no avail.

About this one
“C:\Users\spawnthing\AppData\Roaming\daml\sdk\1.15.0\daml-helper/daml-helper:”

This works just fine on my other install which is Windows 7 x64, I’m also confused as why things didn’t work out on this current Windows 10 x64 install. I’ve install it with Administrator privileges but somehow results to the same issue.

I’m currently checking on all windows background services and processes right now that might be in conflict with the sdk, openjdk or vscode. There are varieties of development kits that has been installed on this machine currently so I figured one of them might be the culprit. Worst comes to worst this machine might need a complete wipe.

Thank you all again for all your responses, greatly appreciate it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I believe the Daml installer is designed to run without administrative privileges, and it seems plausible that installing with admin privileges would restrict execution rights to admin accounts. Have you tried either running the daml new command as admin or installing Daml as a normal user?

1 Like

In fact I did. The issue might be with the machine and not related to the SDK installer at all.

1 Like

Have you checked your system protection (e.g. antivirus) interfering?

2 Likes

After a lot of tinkering with the settings I was able to managed to make it working now. tried re installing the daml sdk, vscode and the latest prebuilt openjdk binaries with openj9 jvm and somehow I got it working.

5 Likes

Great news! Keep us posted on your Daml journey.

2 Likes

awesome!

2 Likes