Suggested parties in DAML 2.1.1 navigator doesn't work to create contracts

I have a question about parties in DAML navigator and how they should be typed in order to create a contract.

The problem is that the suggested names on the navigator are not valid party identifiers. I tried looking for their IDs by getting parties from the JSON API, and it looks something like party-{UUID} and It didn’t work.

In this article, party IDs in daml 2.0 have this form Alice::1220f2fe29866fd6a0009ecc8a64ccdc09f1958bd0f801166baaee469d1251b2eb72, but i don’t know where to get this id from.

Navigator should have an autocomplete function. If you type in the first few letters of a party you should see a dropdown appearing with a few suggestions. Otherwise, if you have a party appearing in a contract page you should be able to click on the party name to copy it to your clipboard. You can read more about the new party names from Daml 2.0 and its support in Navigator from the Daml 2.0 release notes (Release of Daml 2.0).

Answering the specific question about the prefix: If you set a party id hint when you allocate a party the actual party id will be idhint::hash. If you don’t set the party id hint, you get a party of the form party-uuid::hash which make autocompletion significantly less useful unfortunately.

2 Likes

The autocomplete only shows the party name that I specified in the daml.yaml file, not the entire party id that is generated.

Example: daml.yaml

parties:
- Alice
- Bob

The suggestions I get for a party field are just {Alice, Bob} and not the valid one {Alice-UUID, Bob-UUID}.

1 Like