Package upgrade for data type

Hi team,

I have a daml project/package specifically for Enums (no template object at all).
Example:

module Enums.PhoneType where

data PhoneType = MOBILE | BUSINESS | OTHER deriving (Eq, Show)

and as you can imaging for an Enum package, it is a data-dependency to many other daml project that we are building for our app.

I am starting to look into how to upgrade packages, but I only see examples for upgrading template type and not data type. Could you guide me on how to upgrade data type from enum-0.0.1.dar to enum-0.0.2.dar?

Another question is, in my other daml projects, I put enum-0.0.1.dar as a data-dependency:

name: another-project
version: 0.0.1
data-dependencies:
  - .lib/enum-0.0.1.dar

If I want to use enum-0.0.2.dar in my another-project, does that mean I need to also upgrade the data-dependency in my another-project to:

name: another-project
version: 0.0.2
data-dependencies:
  - .lib/enum-0.0.2.dar

Doesn’t this mean I need to traverse down the whole dependency tree and create a new dar version for every package impacted by the change?

Thank you so much in advance.

Yes, you have to traverse the dependency chains and upgrade all templates/contracts that depend on the enum.

You can break up such dependency chains with Daml Interfaces.

Thanks for the reply @bernhard.

So how do we upgrade the contracts that depend on the enum? Do we just change the version reference in data-dependencies for enum package and it will reference the upgraded enum package? and set the enum field to something else if the original one is removed from upgraded enum definition.

I am unsure, because there’s no actual “contract” for a enum type and I couldn’t find a doc that explains this part.

Yes, that’s exactly right. The data-dependencies point to a file. Change that to the newly compiled enum package. Then follow compiler errors to refactor changed enum values.