Offsets, commands, transaction and events, oh my!

Are the below statements about the relationships between identifiers correct?

• Offset <=> Transaction
  • Transaction => Command (but Command does not imply transaction, as it could be rejected)
  • From the above two statements, Offset => Command
  • Transaction <=> Events

If true, then why do we need to have separate identifiers for offsets and transactions?

Somewhat related:

Transactions and transactionIds are part of the shared ledger. Transactions are (partially) ordered, but transactionIds are not.

Commands, offsets and eventIds are participant-local, ie are different from participant to participant.

Commands are essentially a correlationId between API request and completion, which are either transactions or rejections.

Offsets are a local totally ordered index into all the orderable things which includes both transactions and rejections. They are primarily useful for features like command deduplications. They are like “block height” on blockchains, but because there are no blocks and there is privacy, they are local to participants.

EventIds are like the “index” in a block on a blockchain. As with offsets, because there is privacy, the index is different from view to view so is participant local.

1 Like

Thanks for taking the time to reply … but :face_with_spiral_eyes: let me try to unpack this; there are a couple of things here like ordering, locality and the relationship to public blockchains to which I can’t see the direct relevance to. Let’s start with the relationship between the different types of IDs [edit], and talk about the abstract/global ledger [end edit]:

So I would take this as: Transaction => Offset, i.e. there is a unique offset for each transaction, but not necessarily a unique transaction for each offset (because it could be a rejection instead). Right?

So my statement is correct here, right?

This statement still follows from the first and second. But can I go further and say that there exists a unique offset for each command and vice-versa, i.e. Offset <=> Command Id?

So here you’re stating a relationship between offsets and events, rather than transactions and events? Does the later still hold? i.e. if I give you a transaction, you can tell me which events correspond to it, and vice-versa? (I’m sorry but the blockchain analogy is somewhat lost on me - I’m not that familiar with how they work).

Finally, going back to your points about ordering, the difference between an offset and command ID is that the former has ordering guarantees, whereas the other doesn’t (it’s up to the user to enforce these)?