Is it possible to run Daml 2.x without Canton?

Hi, I’d like to know if it is possible to use Daml 2.x without Canton? Or am I forced to use canton if I want to use the 2.x versions?

If it is not possibile, does it mean that if I want to develop an application without Canton i must use the 1.8.x version?

Thanks

All Ledger API implementations actively maintained directly by DA since our 2.x release are built on top of Canton. Other “first generation” drivers can be used with the Daml SDK 1.18.x. This doesn’t prevent other implementations of the Ledger API, like the VMware Blockchain, which moved to Daml 2.0 in its 1.6 release (blog). Is there a specific reason why you wouldn’t want to use a Canton-backed Ledger API implementation?

Thanks Stefano.

A reason not to use Canton could be that a solution doesn’t want (or doesn’t need) to communicate with other solutions (at the moment).

At the same time a team would want to use the latest version of the sdk

Canton should still work perfectly fine in that case. You can run Canton with a single participant & single domain. Is it getting in the way in somehow?

I didn’t know that it was possible to have canton implementation with only one participant and only one domain. I was not able to find this information on the documentation site (maybe I’ve missed it).

Is there any link to a tutorial or “how to” guide to setup a Daml 2.0 with only one participant and only one domain in a centralized setup with PostgreSql?

The docs contain an example that runs a single participant & domain in the same process. Depending on your needs (e.g. scalability) you might still want to run them as processes.