Generator contract workaround for unique keys & multiple domains

The docs for the generator contract workaround for contract key uniqueness state the following:

If the participant is connected to multiple domains, the approach may fail in future versions of Canton. To be future-proof, you should only use it in the settings when your participant is connected to a single domain.

However, I’m not clear on when this actually breaks when using multiple domains: The assumptions already state that it’s up to me to guarantee that there is only one Generator contract. That Generator contract will be on some domain and I cannot double spend it there. I see how things break if I have multiple Generator contracts across domains but that already breaks if those are on the same domain.

So is there actually a case where multiple domains cause issues for this workaround (keeping the assumption that users have to guarantee that there is only a single Generator contract) or is this statement just overly cautious given that multi-domain is still early access and things may still change?

Hi @cocreature ,
This is mostly a word of caution. There is no reason that the Generator setup will not work in multi-domain but we don’t guarantee stability, especially around keys.

Hope this helps.

Rafael

Thanks @Rafael_Guglielmetti!