Parse error on input do

The issue is that your choice defines fields with the same name as the template fields. The easiest fix is to rename one of them, e.g., suffix the fields in the choice argument

controller bidder can
          MakeABid: ContractId Auction2
             with
                limitArg: Decimal
                startArg: Time
                endArg: Time
                bidArg: Decimal
                currencyArg: Text
            do
              create Auction2
                 with
                    limit = > 10.0
                    start = 10.30
                    end = 11.00
                    bid= 1000.00
                    currency = "Pound"

Once you fixed that, you’ll get another error about limit = > 10.0. I assume that’s probably just a typo and you meant limit = 10.0.

After fixing that there is another error at ensure limit > 0. That is caused by the fact that 0 is of type Int whereas limit is of type Decimal. You can use ensure limit > 0.0 instead to fix that.

On to the next error

daml/Main.daml:40:22: error:
  • Constructor ‘Auction2’ does not have the required strict field(s): auctioneer,
  bidder, object, dateAuction

You didn’t specify all fields here when calling create Action2. The first 3 can be copied from Auction2 either by specifying them manually or by using .. which copies the fields of the given name that are already in scope. I don’t know what you want to set dateAuction to. In the interest of fixing the error so we can take a look at later errors, let’s set it to the current date. Note that you need to import DA.Date` for this to work.

currentTime <- getTime
              create Auction2
                 with
                    limit = 10.0
                    start = 10.30
                    end = 11.00
                    bid= 1000.00
                    currency = "Pound"
                    auctioneer = auctioneer
                    bidder = bidder
                    object = object
                    dateAuction = toDateUTC currentTime

And on to the next error:

• No instance for (IsNumeric Time) arising from the literal ‘10.30’

This comes from start = 10.30. 10.30 is a numeric value but you need a time here. You could specify a time using the functions from DA.Time. However, I think there might actually be another issue here: Your choice defines a number of arguments including start or startArg. However you are not actually using them anywhere. I’m also not sure about the relationship between the fields in the choice argument and the fields in the template. If they are always idenical you don’t need the choice argument. Let’s assume for now that they are not but make sure that we actually use the choice arguments instead of setting the fields to fixed values (however I do recommend understanding how the two relate, I wouldn’t be surprised if you can just delete them from the choice arguments):

create Auction2
                 with
                    limit = limitArg
                    start = startArg
                    end = endArg
                    bid= bidArg
                    currency = currencyArg
                    auctioneer = auctioneer
                    bidder = bidder
                    object = object
                    dateAuction = toDateUTC currentTime

And at that point we’ve resolved all compile errors!

1 Like