2021 Daml Developer Survey

Dear Daml community members,

The Developer Relations team would like to understand the community (i.e., you) and your needs better in an effort to improve Daml’s learning material. For this purpose we kindly ask you to participate in a 5 - 10 minutes survey (total 16 questions, 7 mandatory multiple choice) focusing on:

1. Your professional information (e.g., number of years spent as a professional developer)
  2. Your overall developer experience (e.g., familiarity with programming languages)
  3. Your experience with Daml (e.g., how long have you been using it)
  4. Your experience with Daml’s learning material (e.g., how satisfied are you with Daml’s learning material)
  5. Open-ended feedback

Click here to start the survey

The survey will be open for a week, i.e., until next Wednesday 22.09.2021 (that is the last day for filling it in).

Understanding the community’s developer background and your experience with Daml’s learning material will greatly help us in making the necessary improvements around learning Daml.

As a thank you for participating in the survey we will be giving $100 certification vouchers. For this purpose we will need to collect your name and email address (at the end of this form). We will start distributing the vouchers to interested parties after closing the survey (after Wednesday 22.09.2021).

The survey is implemented using Google forms. The information collected in this survey will not be shared with anyone outside of Digital Asset.

Click here to start the survey

2 Likes
  1. Your professional information (e.g., number of years spent as a professional developer) 30+ years

2. Your overall developer experience (e.g., familiarity with programming languages) Machine code, assemble, embedded c, c, python, javascript and microsoft markup languages

3. Your experience with Daml (e.g., how long have you been using it) Just started

4. Your experience with Daml’s learning material (e.g., how satisfied are you with Daml’s learning material) I find it very confusing. I learned Solidity through youtube videos and 6 week paid in person class so that this would be simple to install and learn. I feel like your tutorials were written expecting people to already know DAML. You need to pretend we are in kindergarten and learning a new language. Are there any in person classes? I think the concept of a markup language specifically for digital assests is great idea. Maybe I’m missing something and your education material is great. For me it’s discouraging and makes me wonder if I’m wasting my time. Digital assets are the future I’m sure of that. Keep up the Great work. As ex-microsoft employee i know how hard it is to create educational material and get it out to developers stamiman@hotmail.com if you want to talk

5. Open-ended feedback

Hi @Paul1983,

I’m sorry to hear you’re having trouble with our learning material. We do indeed have a lot of material assuming familiarity with the Daml language, or at least the Haskell language. We also have some material that we have at least tried to write for an audience who is not already familiar with either.

For example, the series starting with this page on the documentation site has been written with the intention of addressing people with no prior Daml experience or familiarity.

Would you mind confirming whether you did come across that resource? If so, can you give us pointers on how to improve it? If not, do you have any suggestion on what would have helped you find it? E.g. where did you look where this was not mentioned?

Thanks in advance! (And sorry again for the poor experience so far.)